For those not familiar with the Navy, there are various ratings (jobs) which all Sailors belong. My job as a paralegal in the Navy means that I am a Legalman or an “LN.” Our ratings are all followed by an abbreviation of our rank or pay grade. For example, I am a Senior Chief Legalman which is written as LNCS (“CS” represents Senior Chief-backward)
Within the Navy Reserve there are less than 200 paralegals or LN’s. At any given time throughout each year, some of our Reserve LN’s are on their Annual Training which is the typical 2 weeks of training which all reservists are required to complete in order to get a qualifying year for retirement. Others, such as Yours Truly, are involuntarily mobilized or sent on Presidential Recall orders which send them to a specific location. I am under a Presidential Recall (certainly sounds a lot better than it really is – however this is a critical distinction because it dictates which law (federal) protects a reservist’s job while they are mobilized or involuntarily recalled.
As you can imagine, given the small size of our community -our inventory of paralegals- one would find it rather interesting to know that there are 5 paralegals in the Navy Reserve who are currently mobilized and serving in Afghanistan, specifically on my base. This past weekend, I decided it was a perfect opportunity for our LN’s to get together for a photo opportunity to share with our fellow paralegals back at home. Having just received copies and permission to use the attached pictures this afternoon, I was pleasantly surprised at how the pictures turned out. If I were not in them, I’d say how great the pictures are. I think they turned out great of everyone but of course, I’m self critical. See for yourself: in the Pictures are: LNCM Karen Colaiacovo (two stars above the anchor on her collar- she’s from New York), LNCS Meadows (one star above my anchor-from Michigan), LNC Sally Webster (an anchor on her collar-from Washington State), LN1 Marcheline Robert (three chevrons on her collar-from New York), and LN1 Jennifer Sikes (three chevrons on her collar-from Washington State). All of the others – except for me – are working for a Navy Seabee command and therefore are all in the same uniforms. Because I am working for an Army command, I am wearing the Army’s Combat Uniform (ACU’s).
We had a little fun with the pictures and have sent them on to the Navy’s JAG Headquarters to share! I’ve also uploaded them onto my facebook page, for those on facebook! Enjoy….
Within the Navy Reserve there are less than 200 paralegals or LN’s. At any given time throughout each year, some of our Reserve LN’s are on their Annual Training which is the typical 2 weeks of training which all reservists are required to complete in order to get a qualifying year for retirement. Others, such as Yours Truly, are involuntarily mobilized or sent on Presidential Recall orders which send them to a specific location. I am under a Presidential Recall (certainly sounds a lot better than it really is – however this is a critical distinction because it dictates which law (federal) protects a reservist’s job while they are mobilized or involuntarily recalled.
As you can imagine, given the small size of our community -our inventory of paralegals- one would find it rather interesting to know that there are 5 paralegals in the Navy Reserve who are currently mobilized and serving in Afghanistan, specifically on my base. This past weekend, I decided it was a perfect opportunity for our LN’s to get together for a photo opportunity to share with our fellow paralegals back at home. Having just received copies and permission to use the attached pictures this afternoon, I was pleasantly surprised at how the pictures turned out. If I were not in them, I’d say how great the pictures are. I think they turned out great of everyone but of course, I’m self critical. See for yourself: in the Pictures are: LNCM Karen Colaiacovo (two stars above the anchor on her collar- she’s from New York), LNCS Meadows (one star above my anchor-from Michigan), LNC Sally Webster (an anchor on her collar-from Washington State), LN1 Marcheline Robert (three chevrons on her collar-from New York), and LN1 Jennifer Sikes (three chevrons on her collar-from Washington State). All of the others – except for me – are working for a Navy Seabee command and therefore are all in the same uniforms. Because I am working for an Army command, I am wearing the Army’s Combat Uniform (ACU’s).
We had a little fun with the pictures and have sent them on to the Navy’s JAG Headquarters to share! I’ve also uploaded them onto my facebook page, for those on facebook! Enjoy….
