Saturday, November 27, 2010

Entertainment for the Troops?

The military often tries to do things in an effort to improve morale for our troops. Some things I can see how they would increase morale, but a recent "morale boost" really bothered me because I don't see it at all to be helping our troops. It involved a visit from some Americans....visitors here are wide-ranging such as Senators, State Department Officials, Senior Military Leaders, and even reporters from various media outlets.

A recent visit to "boost" morale involved cartoonists. Yes, cartoonists. Now, although I don't read cartoons very often, I really struggled to see how this visit "helped" the morale of our troops! A morale boost in our troops eyes are rather simple: better food choices and something a little more personal from home, not a visit by some cartoonists. Remember, visitors don't just come here, they get flown in, are escorted around, are flown to other bases, and require security. Do you see where I"m headed with this? Besides, who really pays for such visits? That is the part most bothersome to me, in fact, it's rather disheartening to me. I will keep the remainder of my opinion regarding how and what we spend money on to myself - at least until I am back in my civilian capacity. For my readers, I am including a link to a blog from one of the cartoonists. The reason I am including this link is for the pictures, to share our "boardwalk" which really leaves a lot to be desired. It's not great, but when it's the best you have, you sort of make it "good" in your mind.

I'm interested in your thoughts. Are cartoonists worth bringing over here to "visit" our troops? If cartoonists are not, what or who do you think would boost the morale of our troops? I can say without a doubt, better food choices and more options. This is the season when our troops really need a morale boost and we are all constantly trying to find a way to do so.

http://www.tomrichmond.com/blog/2010/11/16/cartoonists-in-afghanistan-part-2/

Happy Reading...