As I went to wash my hands in my MOD (where I live) a few days ago, I was reminded how great it is to have “nice” hand soap. Some may be laughing right now and others know exactly what I mean and they are not laughing. Allow me to explain…My sister, Carolyn, sent me a bottle of Bath and Body Works Rain Kissed Leaves hand soap a while ago. Apparently, I wanted to keep this to myself (for a while) so I kept this in my shower bag and used it when my shower bag was in the bathroom with me. The other day I wanted to use the "good" soap but didn’t have my bag with me so I decided that I had kept it to myself long enough and put the bottle on one of the four sinks in our bathroom (working for the Army it’s a latrine, but since I’m a Sailor and we call them heads I will compromise and use the civilian term “bathroom”). As the days quickly passed, I noticed the bottle being used far more than the other 3 liquid soaps. This is not at all surprising because I am convinced that the local nationals who clean our bathrooms do not have an affinity for liquid bathroom soap because, clearly, there are times when I think they just add water to the liquid soap bottle to appear as if there’s more soap! Based on other habits witnessed around base (not throwing trash in garbage cans or dumpsters) and simply being the least caring when it comes to trash and cleanliness, I'm certain they are "messing" with the soap!! The difference is visible, it’s not just me being picky although that’s usually a distinct possibility. It’s soap and we are in a very dirty country and I witness people (Americans and locals) who are less than “clean,” most don’t live up to "my" standards…..
As I washed my hands tonight (my speculation is that there are only a few hand washings left with the “good stuff”) I remembered that my sister also sent me the same scented body scrub! You would have thought that I won a lottery…I know I felt like I won a lottery! I had a little jump to my step heading toward the shower tonight. Call it my post-run reward! I had scented body scrub and was going to use it and enjoy it.
I was feeling so good after my run – the shower was mandatory for two reasons: 1) who doesn’t sweat after running 9 miles and 2) at the beginning of my run, I had a short diversion (aka a "muster") which required me to immediately jump into a ditch! Yes….a filthy, moon sand-filled, littered ditch for a couple of minutes. Really? We were doing so well, too! We haven’t done that in a while and at that moment I appreciated the recent down time which had been refreshing. The worst part of this diversion was that since the last muster, I had forgotten what “that sound” was…..or so I thought. It truly is amazing just how quickly one can be reminded of something so specific - although you believed you had forgotten about it. Memory can be good and it can be bad. My memory was good, in a bad way. I remembered and hadn't actually forgotten that sound.
My diversion came at nearly 2 miles into my planned 8+ mile run run which was going to take me around the airfield. I heard that noise and felt my heart race like never before (seriously, I have heard this before –on more than 60 occasions-- but you NEVER get used to it). I knew what to do….hit the deck, cover your head and say your prayers quickly! So much of life flashes before you during those incredibly long two minutes. As your doing all of that, you are also strategizing when not near bunkers. Of course, my strategy was simple, I asked myself: Where do I go? How far is the closest bunker? What are my surroundings? Where am I at? How close are any structures to me? Is anyone around me? I immediately recalled that as I was diving for the ditch right next to me, I saw a group of foreign Soldiers on the other side of the road. I could not tell what country they were from although the pattern on their camouflaged uniforms was distinct....but they, too, were all laying on the side of the road, they were not near a ditch. At that point, I did not care where they were from or who they were. I remembered seeing them and the weapons they were carrying. I had nothing! I was in my usual running attire – unarmed, of course. So, I knew I was headed where they were…..you just never know. After a couple of minutes, I saw them getting up so I followed suit. They headed my way and I was headed toward a safer place. With no bunkers around, you learn to make do. As the 8 Soldiers (at this point I recognized the French flag on their uniforms) [all were very good looking….keeping up with the promise I’ve made to my single friends: to find a good looking Soldier for them] approached, I jokingly asked if I could go with them although they knew I was serious. What else is there to do but joke at this time???? Of course, they said Yes - in English - thank goodness. They were each carrying their gear, including their rucksacks, all sorts of other gear, water bottles, and their weapons in the ready position. They looked like they were not to be messed with. I didn’t know what kind of a weapon they were each carrying but they all had rifles, enough for me to hide behind, therefore my plan was taking shape: I was going wherever they were. Funny how quickly you become friends with someone! If you thought I was social before, in this situation, you would be amazed at how social I can be – when forced – you have no choice, it’s instantaneous!! Given the same situation again, I will demand to be your friend and in case you don't hear me, I will yell at you so you can hear me commanding our new friendship!
Once we all got to a safer place, one of the Soldiers asked me – with his iPhone in hand - if I was done running. I chuckled and said for a little while, at least. Clearly none of them were bothered by the situation and were experienced with such musters. I drew this conclusion as some began drinking out of their water bottles while others lit their cigarettes and the remaining Soldiers were on their cell phones. Interesting how our thoughts are all so different during this time. It was a short time “together” and as we were cleared, I began running away and they all said “have a good run.” I waved and said have a good night…never once looking back at my new friends.
I quickly got back to concentrating on my run and slightly modified my planned course because it was almost dark. I did not want to be on the other side of the airfield by myself especially after a “muster” because you just never know when the next one is coming. The remainder of my run was uneventful as was the rest of my night. The shower (and the scented body scrub) was awesome and I am so thankful my sister sent it. Somehow I managed to make it a little treat for myself and although unplanned, it was a nice reward to end my night.
