Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Day #3

I had dinner with my friend, Sally, last night. She's been here for a while now and was gracious enough to pick me up at the airport when I arrived a few days ago. I've also had a chance to see my friend, Erin, who has worked here for the last few years. I'm hoping to have dinner with both Sally and Erin tomorrow night.

Today started with a BIG challenge for me: I don't recall having issues in boot camp but today's "fitting" really pushed me further than expected. I've felt claustrophobic before but given the stress of the last few weeks combined with today's fitting was rather interesting. I went first, or so I thought. I tried to remain calm but quickly found that I couldn't. The gentleman conducting my fitting immediately recognized my discomfort. I was really bothered. He recommended I sit and watch my shipmates fittings. I watched closely and was the last person in my group to complete my fitting. Mission accomplished. I really felt a sense of accomplishment after this morning. I'm proud of myself and have another reason to be proud of those who've previously served and those who are currently serving.
Tomorrow is the first day I get to sleep past 5am and I'm really looking forward to it. I've not slept very well and when I've Skyped with the girls, they've been sure to point out how many times I've yawned. Tonight, Jim took the webcam around the house to show me how things have (or have not changed). I asked for him to show me our bed and as expected, the bed was not made! I just cringed when I saw he hadn't made it. The girls also wanted to show me their new fish. They've been spoiled and each now have a fish at home and at their grandparents house. In keeping with my standard daily conversations with the girls, I asked each to tell me what they learned in school today. Initially, both struggled to think of something but each was able to tell me what they learned. I look forward to our next conversation........