zinc poisoningFor those who know me, it may come as no surprise that I’m writing this entry. As a paralegal, I’m used to using the computer and technology to get my job done smarter and faster. Here, while in Afghanistan, I still need to work smarter and faster, but it also means that I must rely upon technology even more than normal. If our internet connection is down, I feel lost. Not only am I not able to get some of my work (online research) done but this is my connection to my family and friends back home. I rely upon technology like the internet more than ever before. I regularly check facebook, my email and my blog. We’ve had dry spells where we couldn’t get online and it’s been incredibly frustrating. Unfortunately, I may have built up an expectation that I can log on at any time and do anything I want to do. This is not quite the case. In fact, I’ve received emails from family and friends who’ve reminded me to update my blog. How ironic is this….I am in a war zone, receiving a incredibly small amount of money for the daily risks we take and yet some remind me about my blog. I enjoy updating my blog but what some may not realize is that there are quite a few things which cannot be put on a blog due to security reasons. For example, classified information, information on troop movements or other battle specific plans are not to be placed online. We have folks who search such sites just to check.
Tonight was a huge step for me….I was able to test Skype with my youngest daughter’s second grade teacher and the Principal. We got Skype working within minutes and I told the teacher that if she had any problems logging onto Skype that Taylor (will be 7 on 10/9) can log onto a laptop and log into Skype if needed. I realize this is a bit much to expect of an almost 7 year old but it is true. I can't wait to Skype with the whole class of second graders.....even though I just realized that I will miss Taylor's First Reconciliation and her First Communion!!!
My girls (and Jim) have been challenged so much during my deployment so far, that it is only fair to do my best at calling them and sending them my love. In fact, because I’m going to miss (among other celebrations I’ve already missed) Taylor’s 7th birthday, I bought her a gift today and had it sent to her at the house. That’s the best I can do for her, but I’m sure she will like it.
Take care, be safe and please don’t forget to be thankful for our service people who are going “outside the wire” as we speak.
Thank you, All!!
