Tuesday, October 26, 2010
A Real Halloween Treat . . .
For most Americans kids, Halloween is a time to dress up in our favorite costumes so they can be shown off to neighbors while trick or treating. Here in Afghanistan, the “costume” of choice is some form of a combat uniform and trick or treating is clearly out of the question. Some of us have been fortunate, though, to receive early Halloween treats from home. I am no different. When I arrived at work yesterday, there was a large box addressed to me sitting on my chair. A co-worker told me it was the heaviest box he’d seen here to date. I went to pick it up off my chair so I could it and its weight caught me off guard. I looked at the customs form attached to it and saw it was a package sent to me from my Aunt Geri. For those familiar with the customs forms, there aren’t a lot of lines available to describe all of the contents of each package. Aunt Geri, however, had no problem, as she simply wrote “Fudge” on the customs form. Assuming she had done like others and identified just one content of the box. I eagerly opened the package to see what she had sent me. To my surprise, Aunt Geri meant what she wrote: she sent 10 individual boxes of fudge, direct from Joann’s Fudge of Mackinaw Island. I was so excited that I had to share, as she requested. I took 3 boxes to three other units with offices near mine. When I asked an Airman (Air Force) if he wanted to take a box of fudge to share with his co-workers, his response was “No thanks!” however, the Airman standing next to him immediately said “You’re crazy” and he took the box from me and thanked me. I told him that it was a early Halloween treat from my Aunt and he asked me to thank my Aunt for him. I presume that box was devoured rather quickly.
Then, I took 4 boxes to two different local wounded warrior units. At each unit, when I walked in with the red box, I got a look of confusion. When I explained what I was bringing, the smiles quickly reappeared on their faces. One eagerly responded: “Joann’s Fudge? I LOVE Joann’s Fudge!” I immediately asked the Soldier where he was from since it appeared as if he had heard of Joann’s Fudge before. He responded, “From Lansing.” This moment was an instant reminder of how small the world really is and how you can never tell when you might be speaking with a neighbor or friend of a friend.
My co-workers had different reactions when I put two boxes of fudge out by our coffee area. One hesitantly took a piece and tried it. He couldn’t speak and immediately took another bite. He said that he had never tasted fudge like this…fudge that just "melted in your mouth.” He then asked me to take the boxes away so he wouldn’t eat so much that he got sick. That’s the kind of reaction you want when sharing such goodness with a Soldier!
So, on behalf of those of us who’ve benefited from Aunt Geri’s most generous gift of fudge, I thank you….from the happy taste buds of many Warriors here with me in Afghanistan!!
Thanks, Aunt Geri!
I Love you! :)
