For those who've been reading my blog for sometime, by now you know what "that sound" is. This morning I was laying in my bed waiting for my alarm clock to wake me and I got a little surprise! It seems my alarm clock has changed to "that sound!"
Yes, you guessed it: we heard "that sound" first thing this morning, before many of us got out of bed. This is the first time in a while we've been waken up by that sound and I hope it's the last, but I am a realist and know that's not the case. I'm not aware of any injuries this time and that is a GREAT thing.
For those who are in the military or have served, imagine the many different "creative" ways in which you were woken up in boot camp by your too eager and too energized Company Commanders as we had in Navy boot camp, or your Drill Sergeants as the Army and the Marines have. I know one thing is consistent across all boot camps: the time at which you are woken up is never the time you'd think you'd be getting up. I recall waking up to metal wall lockers being tipped over for no apparent reason, to metal garbage cans being beat with a broom stick, and being yelled at while being told how worthless I was and reminded how much - at that moment - I regretted joining the [Navy, Army, Marine Corps]. I'm sure there are countless unthinkable additional ways in which we "recruits" have been woken up. None of them, I promise you, is like "that sound!"
When first hearing that sound, you find yourself asking just some of these questions: "Really, am I hearing this?" Then your incredibly random thoughts change to: "What time is it? Did my roommates all hear this? Are they laying on the deck like I am? It's really cold outside. Where are my warm clothes? Which is quicker to put on: my boots, my tennis shoes, or my shower shoes? I have to grab my weapon and my ammunition. When was the last time I went to the bathroom and will I make it if we're stuck in the bunker for hours? Should I grab a bottle of water or a snack in case we're stuck for a long time? Where's my room key? Are all of my roommates out of the room already? Which bunker is the closest? Will I fit in this bunker with everyone else who is already in here? Did I dress right? Why don't the bunkers have seats built in them? Who didn't think to put cases of bottled water in this bunker in case we're stuck for a long time? (Scanning the crowd) Did everyone make it out of my building? Do I see all my roommates? Who is around me? What weapons do those around me have? If we are attacked, who would be in charge? What weapons are available in our bunker and how/who should be at which end of the bunker to protect us if needed? Do I have my phone so that I can call my supervisor to let him know I am alright and in a bunker? I wonder how long it will be before we hear the all clear. I hope that's not an ambulance siren I'm hearing. I hope that's the police siren. Are there any others? Is anyone walking around outside of a bunker who should be corrected and directed to get into a bunker? This list can go on and on, but these are just some of the questions which come to mind when arriving in a bunker, if you are fortunate enough to be near a bunker at the time.
I mean, really, these are the most important things! So, imagine all of these thoughts in a matter of seconds. Now, (laughing) imagine all of the outfits and combinations which are seen in the average bunker when waking folks up either in the middle of the night or early in the morning. I hope it's no great surprise to any of my readers that "that sound" never occurs at a convenient or good time. I and the others around me, can not help but laugh. The clothing combinations are great and after all, we are nearly helpless and can do nothing but pass our "time in captivity" by making the best of the worst situation we often find ourselves in. To share a visual (yes, I usually have my blackberry with me because it has a camera on it - I feel obligated to capture some "bunker outfits" and some "bunker faces" on camera....the best part, those around me often smile for the camera or will turn to the camera, rather than away from it) imagine a light pink fleece robe, with a 9MM (handgun) secured in a tan or black shoulder holster - with ammunition attached to the holster - worn over the robe, while wearing tan [unlaced, of course], worn combat boots, mis-matched socks with bed head... all being modeled by a half-awake Sailor or Soldier! Who can pass up such a combination? Trust me when I say this, if I didn't have my camera out taking pictures of others, someone would be taking pictures of me in my similar styled outfits!
So, My Decision: behind the camera or in front of it? I choose behind the camera!
