Sunday, May 16, 2010

Combat Life Saving and HMMWV (aka Humvee) Roll Overs.....

Yesterday was our last of four days of Combat Life Saving Training, a very intense course. The training concentrated on critical life saving techniques on the battlefield. Much of the acquired skills - if used properly - could decrease the number of casualties in theater. Primarily, the medical part of the training related to tourniquets, opening breathing airways, and administering IV's on the battlefield. Added to the stress of requiring these potentially life saving techniques, the complications of war with unknown foes with a preference for unconventional wartime tactics and you have an incredibly stressful medical emergency.

In addition to learning how and when to use these new skills, as combat life savers, we all must also know how to request a medevac and how to document medical treatments initiated on the battlefield. Add to this incredibly complicated combination the fact that WE never leave anyone behind (regardless of the gravity of their wounds) and I'm sure you would also have an incredible amount of respect for all combat medics, regardless of their branch of service. Combat "battle rattle" is incredibly heavy and uncomfortable to wear, however, when treating or assisting wounded, we must do all we can to move our casualties to "safer" locations by whatever means possible. Typically, these methods include carrying the soldier (I use this term generically to include those serving in all branches of the US Military) on your back, on a litter, dragging or pulling them to safety. Imagine carrying 200+ pounds of weight while wearing 60+ pounds of uncomfortable gear across a beach in 90+ degree weather. It is unimaginable and incredibly difficult and can not be done without teamwork and communication. Of all the training I've completed to date, I am most proud that I was able to complete the CLS course. I am comfortable with what I've learned and could certainly use it, if ever needed. I pray that I will never require these skills.

Another personal milestone I've already reached is learning how to survive in a Humvee rollover. Yes, this is exactly what it sounds like: we were strapped (seat belted and harnessed) into a Humvee and in am incredibly monitored training environment, we learned how to tactically egress (get out of) a Humvee from a 90 degree rollover (on it's side) and 180 rollover (upside down) in a combat environment (including locating your weapons and egressing in a hostile environment). There is a strategy to surviving such accidents and my bruised legs have the bumps and bruises to prove I was in fact tossed around the inside of a vehicle (as a Gunner) to prove it! My claustrophobia kicked in and remained in full gear until the minute we were belted and locked into our vehicles. Until our turn, I was incredibly worried about passing the training and wanted nothing more than to avoid requesting an "emergency stop" during the training. Unbelievably, I remained calm and was the voice of reason and communicated most clearly with my team ensuring we all egressed out of the "rollover" as instructed. Surprisingly, I was calm and collected and was able to maintain our "security" during the egress. I was shocked that once this training was over, I actually was hoping we could do it again!To my surprise, I had a great time and wished I could immediately go to an amusement park and ride some high speed roller coasters. I left this training very confident that I could survive a rollover and would know what to do if ever in such a situation. Of course, I hope to never have to use this skill, but I'd certainly know what to do, if ever needed. Again, this training could not have been accomplished without teamwork and communication. Everything we've completed and learned in our training to date has emphasized just how critical teamwork and communications are: a stark reminder of just how much better we can all do at teamwork and communication, regardless of the task at hand.

We begin zeroing our weapons tomorrow. That should be fun......ok, maybe not?! All I know is that I get to sleep in another hour and that makes me very happy.