Today I may have really understood a little more about what life is like in the NARMY: in light of our upcoming training, I went to the commissary (grocery store) to purchase a loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter and some plastic ware. After loading and unloading 55 cases of MRE's and other "meals" into our rooms in preparation for our "camping trip" I realized I'm not sure I could survive (I'm sure I could but would rather not try, unless forced) on MRE's and other "Army" meals. I am certainly not above peanut butter sandwiches and will feel a little better if I at least know I have something which I like to eat with me (in addition to my granola bars). Some of my shipmates (feels weird calling them shipmates as we do in the Navy since not a single one of us is headed to a ship!) have already laughed at me because I am always carrying my bath and body works Sweet Pea scented waterless anti-bacterial foam with me in my ACU's (Army Combat Uniform). This is a must. There are so many people I come into contact each day and I just can't trust any of them! I'm sure everyone can think of the time they witnessed someone not washing their hands after a trip to the bathroom??? I can think of more than one time, hence the reason I'm bringing my foam with me wherever possible.
My feet: Yep....I thought I was in good shape when I first got my boots and began wearing them. I avoided blisters for the first few days and then I got one on each heel 2 days ago. Until now, I never realized they made band-aids for blisters! What a great invention. If not for blister band-aids and mole skin, I'd be even more miserable (physically) than I already am (emotionally). Oddly, I do feel as though I'm getting a bit more used to being here. I certainly don't want my girls and my family to think I am "happy" here but I'm simply making the best of a bad situation. Each day I'm hoping Taylor's behavior begins improving in school....although I may be asking a bit much of a 6 year old by askung that she "get used" to her mom wearing combat boots and deployed for 13 months!! I talked to her last night and reminded her that I needed her to be a big girl and act properly in school so I didn't have to worry more than I already do about her. When I asked her why she was misbehaving she said "Well, let's just say.........(long awkward pause from her as my emotional roller coaster began ascending because she initially sounded like a 15 year old).......... because I miss you!" My emotional roller coaster quickly descended resulting in tears. I tried desperately holding back in an effort to convince her I was strong! I believe I may have convinced her therefore you should probably remember to check the next list of Oscar Nominees!!
Very shortly we will have out weapons issued to us. In case everything I've done and gone through to date hasn't reminded me of exactly what we may be facing, just holding my M16 will be a stark reminder of what the next year has in store for me. I'll be sure to upload some pictures as soon as I can.
Fortunately, since I'm the NCOIC ([Senior] Non-Commissioned Officer in Charge of our class) I've been incredibly busy. This additional responsibility has really helped keep my mind on other things. I have a great group of 6 Chief's to support me along the way! Today and only today, two of the Senior NCO's were shocked when I told them I was in the reserves! That is a great feeling because that means I've carried myself as every other Senior Chief and am not distinguishable from the active duty Chiefs...a very Good Day!!!
