Friday, May 21, 2010

Road Rally.....NARMY Style!

Today's Land Navigation Training included a class on map reading (no, really!). The focus of this class was identifying items of interest on maps. In addition to reading maps, we learned the proper way to use a compass and a protractor. Unfortunately, as I sat through class all I could really think of was "please don't let me be in a position where I will need these skills!" I did well (as I sort of expected) however the true test will be our dismounted Land Navigation (practical) test scheduled for tomorrow morning. The second class we had today consisted of learning how to properly use the Army's handheld GPS system. As one might have guessed, it is "Army" green and it could pass as a Fisher Price toy based on the protective housing it is in.Not only does it look and feel like a Fisher Price toy, it goes through "AA" batteries just like Fisher Price toys do. I've now learned why all requests for donations to military overseas includes "AA" batteries. The batteries drained really quickly on it...not a good feeling if you really needed to use it. It is a rugged, fairly easy to use system. The GPS was very similar to the Loran and the navigation system we used to have on my dad's boat. Today's practical test was our mounted Land Navigation Test. Mounted simply means that we were directed to a course which we were only allowed to navigate while in our Humvees. My nephews would have loved it....we were all riding in Army vehicles driving on muddy back roads. Perfect.....all I could think about was how and when I was going to get my next haircut and pedicure. My only link to reality remains my personal under garments and my Dolce & Gabana sunglasses! Regardless, my room mate Rachel and I were the navigators and we had two men in the truck. One was the driver and the other was the Tactical Commander (helping watch for unsafe roads, conditions, branches, etc.). Rachel and I each had a GPS which we pre-loaded all of the 7 required coordinates into. Rachel and I did a great job and after the first way point we turned my phone on and listened to music. We were that confident although the men really didn't quite trust us. Ha! It was actually pretty fun even by Fort Dix standards. The sun was shining and it was in the middle 80's today. Rachel and I were lucky enough to be sitting in the back of a troop carrying truck (the equivalent of a 1970's pick-up painted army camouflage). The only drawback from today was that we had to wear our complete battle rattle. Imagine a day when all you really want to do is sun bathe and relax yet you can't because you have to wear a bunch of heavy gear and "play Army." None of this is what I would call fun.....and I certainly don't recall ever saying that I wanted to join the Army or "Play Army."

Tomorrow I will write about my "dismounted" Land Navigation Practical Test.........My goal is to ignore the blisters which I already have on my heels and to think about being done. I pray for an overcast, cooler tick-free day for myself and my class!!!!