Monday, July 19, 2010

Think You’re Hungry?


A few days ago, I completed my first "Humanitarian Mission." I heard of a group of soldiers who had been out in the Afghanistan heat all day checking routes for IED’s. While at the gate waiting to return to base, they realized the wait to get on base was so long that the dining facilities were closed. As they waited, they were asked to turn around and go back out on another mission. They had no food with them, just food for their dogs (specially trained dogs which help patrols). I heard the soldiers were very hungry and asked for food. Apparently, nobody knew where to “find” food for them, not even Meals Ready to Eat [MRE’s]. Of course, the MRE’s were obviously not their food of choice but “when in a pinch…”. Shocked at the complacency of those asked for food, I jumped in and began making some phone calls. Two (2) phone calls later, I found a case of MRE's which I immediately drove to pick up and had them delivered to the patrol at the gate. I am completely dumbfounded that others here were not as bothered by "we have no food"...when the work this patrol is doing - is completely life threatening and INCREDIBLY dangerous - yet some wanted to send the patrol out without food. I know they got the MRE’s and I'm sure they were thankful. This is the kind of "brotherly/sisterly" care and concern we should all be showing for others. I'm sad to think that other Americans didn't care like I did so in hindsight, maybe that's what I've been sent here to do...at this point, even if it's a basic need, I'm going to do ALL that I can to get others to think differently and quickly. Sadly, so many here have grown complacent with the high risks and danger which others are doing for them. I am certainly, I hope, not the only one to care but my goal is and remains to ensure that I MAKE all those that I come into contact with - WHETHER THEY LIKE IT OR NOT- to abide by this most fundamental rule. Whatever happened to the Golden Rule? We should all be helping each other out....sadly, the way I think about it is this: if I was ever a casualty, would they second guess helping me? I would not second guess helping anyone or anything.

I suppose I should get off my soap box now (this is not about me….) but rest assured that the next time you are hungry or want a snack…..I ask you to first reconsider how angry or moody you really are and then get some food and thank a Soldier for your freedoms!