Saturday, August 21, 2010
Surprise . . .
My room can accommodate 7 people even though it’s not big enough for 7 people. The room is set up in quadrants by blankets hanging from the ceiling (how it was when I get here). Two of us have single beds (not bunks) with one single bunk disassembled to save space. We also have two sets of bunk beds. So I have 2 roommates: one Air Force Captain and one Army Captain. We all get along ok although one room mate is rather picky (she’s asked me to ensure I prepare my uniforms at night because the Velcro on them wakes her in the morning – she apparently gets to sleep in and I don’t – and she’s also asked that I not prepare the coffee pot at night: because “the smell of coffee wakes her up and makes her hungry!”. Yes, she really said that! So, I’ve been accommodating except for the two days I forgot and had to remove my patches from one uniform to put on another. So, she had to hear Velcro twice. Today, at the office, I learned that she’s also now asked our other roommate to use a dimmer flashlight. So, my response to her is going to be quite simple: we have people sleeping in combat vehicles without showers, lights, pillows, blankets, and electricity and that she has no right to complain about her accommodations! I can’t wait for this conversation. Tonight, I was online emailing and I heard my roommate on Skype. Then….without warning, I heard snoring. Now, the walls between all the rooms in our building are metal but incredibly thin, so I assumed it was someone in an adjacent room snoring really loud. When I continued hearing that noise, I got up to check the empty bed and sure enough. We got another roommate today and we had no idea. She was snoring! No, say it isn’t so. I already don’t sleep well…don’t add a snorer to my room! So, I’m taking my own advice and not saying a word, just being thankful that I have a place to lay my head, indoors! Lesson Learned....
