Sunday, August 1, 2010

What a Beautiful Sight…..


zinc poisoning
As I walked out of work this evening, I was unsure if I’d need my sunglasses. Typically, I always need to wear my sunglasses because although one might think they are used to keep sun out of your eyes, they are definitely multi-purposed here in Afghanistan. Sunglasses provide an invaluable service by not only blocking sunlight but blocking sand and dust from getting into your eyes! I have yet to see an American without sunglasses on….it is as if it’s a requirement to wear with our uniform.

The sight which initially captured my attention was, in fact, up in the sky. For a few moments, I saw a blue sky with some beautiful white clouds. I could not believe my eyes and ended up taking my sunglasses off to verify with an unrestricted view what I was witnessing. The Soldiers walking around me all began agreeing and before long, there were a handful of us staring and admiring the view. You would have thought that the conversation was about a pizza or some other desperately missed food….not whether we could believe our eyes were allowing us to see a blue sky with clouds in it.

Regardless of how they got there and how long they were visible, it was nice to see a blue sky and clouds for a change. Always remember these little things......they are not so little to some of us!