zinc poisoningWell…I’d love to say that the number three is good and resembles something worth remembering. It resembles something alright, unfortunately, it’s the third rocket attack I’ve experienced while here and the 2nd in a little more than 12 ho
I will never get used to the sound….a siren immediately followed by the distinct words(with a foreign accent) “Rocket Attack” repeated multiple times. This sound essentially means the start of a basic routine which all on base must comply with. The beginning of which is hitting the deck. This means you are to immediately drop to the floor as quickly as possible and cover your head with your arms to take all measures possible to avoid head injuries! Regardless of where you are, this is your routine. From what I’ve heard some of those who’ve been injured have failed to do so (were in the shower and opted to refrain from doing so)….resulting in shrapnel wounds all over their exposed bodies. This is not to say that you will be spared of injuries, the goal is simply to reduce potential injuries and the complexity of those injuries. I promise you that I will lay anywhere at anytime, clothed or not, inside or outside whenever told. There are simply no options. Although the income we make over here is tax free, it is in NO way enough (nor are the menial additional pays) to compensate us for the fear of going to bed, hoping we will wake to hear the next rocket attack siren and hoping you will live through the next attack. Our income over here is tax free, however, it is in no way enough to pay for what we must go through. It is really shameful what little money the military makes!!!
Today, I was waiting for a meeting to start and all I heard was someone yell “Get Down!” Apparently, the siren was going off outside but we could not hear it inside. Fortunately, one of the 20 or so of us in the meeting heard it and complied. The chair I was sitting in was on an elevated platform about 6 inches above the floor. Of course, I was not thinking of the elevation, I was trying to get to the deck (floor) as quick as possible so I did just that and hit the deck. My lack of planning nearly resulted in me knocking the wind out of myself because I just laid flat out and let my body hit the floor, forgetting about the drop. If the adrenaline from the siren didn’t make me gasp for air, hitting the floor with the unexpected drop sure got me. Fortunately, all I could do was lay there to catch my breath….which is a little difficult when you’re laying on the floor because of a rocket attack! As I’m typing this, I can hear helicopters and airplanes flying overhead and I never really know what they are doing. I keep reminded myself that I probably don’t want to know what they are doing.
Anyway, my strict workout regimen starts tomorrow with some fellow Chiefs. We will be running very early – to avoid the heat – and I will be running in a 5K this weekend with them. I’ve really fallen out of practice with running so I’m thankful one of my fellow Chief’s is a Medic and knows CPR. I’m hoping she doesn’t need to use it. They are telling me that every couple of weeks there is a run so I will be getting back into running and hopefully, continue losing weight. I don’t have a scale nor do I want one, but based upon my belt - even if I’m not losing weight - I can tell I’m losing inches. I’ve asked all of my running partners to not let me quit and to bang on my door to get me out of bed if I am not out there with them. I’m sure they will comply with my request!!!
Until next time…….
