Sunday I was ran in my first 5K while I’ve been here. This is hopefully, my first of many races. It was not a race for me, rather, just a way to keep busy and work on getting into shape. We had our pre-race safety briefing at 0545 (Rule #1: if we get a rocket attack the race is over, do what you’re supposed to do) So the course was apparently a new course (they did not shut any roads down for the race) we all just got toward the start line and began. Some who had run in other races here were confused by the layout of that course but it was all new to me. There was a good showing of Navy Sailors….I was happy to see that. I began the run with a steady pace with two of my (new) friends (Chiefs). My goals were to run the whole thing and not be last. I did pretty well through the half way point, but then I got really thirsty. It’s been more than 110 degrees here so it was a little warm that morning, even at 0600 (6am for non-military types) Around the half way mark, I got thirsty and decided to pick up a water bottle from one of the stands along the course. I felt it was warm but so is much of the water lying around everywhere on pallets and it was warm outside so I didn’t have a good reference point.
So, I opened the bottle and took a sip of the water. It felt as if it was just below the freezing point. I gasped, tried spitting it out and also happened to take a breath: a bad combination but perfect for choking. I had to stop running for a minute to stop choking and catch my breath. Those watching us run, I’m sure, were thinking I was this out of shape woman trying to run more than I should be running – although that may be partly true, it really was the very hot water I tried drinking to cool me down. I officially began warming up from the inside out. Anyway, I continued my run and down the last stretch a Chief who had previously come back to run with me appeared again and began running with me toward the finish line. That was very nice and unexpected….that’s what a Chief does for another Chief. We take care of our people, no matter who they are. I was proud to be a Chief at that moment and knew that I was not walking --- even if it killed me to run. So, I did it and was so distracted when I got to the finish line that I don’t even know what my time was. It wasn’t good, I’m sure, but it was a completion and not bad for my first run here in the heat. I’ve saved my number and have dated it and taped it to the wall near my bed as a constant reminder of my goal. My intentions are to keep all my numbers….I have learned there is a 10K in the near future, so I may sign up for that one although I know I am not ready to run all of that, there will be some walking involved in that one. I will try to stick with running but will not be heartbroken if I am not able to do that. I’ve only been running a little in the short time I’ve been here so I’m proud of where I’m at and happy to be doing more. I hope to be able to run a lot by the time I leave here. Eventually, my goal is a half marathon, at least by the time I leave here. A nice goal to have….
