Saturday, June 19, 2010

A Solemn Day

Today started as my few previous days have started: I've slept through the alarm on my watch. I was still on time, but did not get in as early as I had hoped. When I got into the office after my short 10 minute walk, I read a note which I knew would come although I had hoped it wouldn't be for a while. It was the announcement of a Ramp Ceremony. For those of you who don't know what this is you should google it. I found some on You Tube although I just can't watch them on You Tube, it just doesn't seem right in my eyes. In short, a Ramp Ceremony is when a Fallen Warrior is being sent on their last journey home to their loved ones. As the Warrior gets on the plane for the last time, all military present pay their last respects right there on the flight line during a Memorial Service held at the plane. I plan to attend as many Ramp Ceremony's as possible while I'm here because, after all, that is the ultimate price a comrade can pay. Quite frankly, not many things which I or anyone else is doing in an office will ever be more important than a Ramp Ceremony! I was proud to see the large number of personnel - military and civilian - from all services and various coalition forces present for today's Fallen Warrior, a U.S. Navy Sailor.

As we stood there in the 100+ degree weather during the service, sweat began pouring out of my entire body. It was a stark reminder of what those in Combat are actually going through and dealing with on a daily basis. I was initially concerned that I did not have the emotional strength to get through the ceremony without tears....yet, I somehow found the courage to prevent them from falling out of my eyes. Don't get me wrong, they were there.....many were there, I just somehow found a way to hold them back. As the sweat poured down my back from the intense heat I could do nothing other than tell myself to suck it up and deal with it, because in front of my was a stark reminder of what my alternative could be. I realized at that moment, the gravity of combat and the reality that we are at war with those who have no regard for human life, anywhere! What a sad reality...a reality which made me want to do that much better in my job - although a very small part of the big picture here - yet still very important. Each department plays its role to support our Warriors in every possible manner. I intend to live up to that standard and if that means sacrificing a LOT of sleep and any personal time I may have, then so be it. I will continue to stand tall, representing my Navy's Combat Team with Honor, Courage, and Commitment (The Navy's Core Values) every day I am alive to do so.
A great website which discusses the Navy's Core Values is: http://ezinearticles.com/?The-US-Navy-Core-Values---Honor,-Courage-and-Commitment&id=3152888

So, the next time you decide to do something which is not quite right, or complain about something which is really not that big of a deal, or decide against doing a good deed or a favor for someone, think of this. If you were at a Ramp Ceremony what would be going through your head? How hard is a good deed or a kind gesture? If you think about it, none are that difficult!!!