Since being here in Kuwait, the only training I've had to complete was MRAP (Mine Resistant Ambush Protection) vehicle roll over training. MRAP's are a family of armored fighting vehicles designed to survive IED attacks and ambushes. The statistics we've learned are astounding. So many soldiers are dying when their Humvees or MRAP's are rolling over (not properly trained how to get out). So, the Army, has created Humvee and MRAP roll over trainers which are claimed to be saving a great deal of lives. I completed the Humvee roll over training at Fort Dix and now the MRAP roll over training here in Kuwait.
The roll over training required us to get locked into a Humvee (with our complete battle rattle - all our 60+ pounds of gear - and locked tightly into our seat belts). Then, because these were training Humvee models (made of all metal and steel) they tipped it sideways - both ways of course - so we'd feel what it's like to be at the "roll over point" or the critical angle in which a Humvee is rolling over (when the vehicle can't get back on its wheels right before it rolls over -- think human crash test dummies!) Then, the first time, they rolled the vehicle over a few times and landed the vehicle on its side (to simulate an actual roll over) and we were inside like human pieces of pop corn......literally! Those in a seat belt were kept in their seats, those who were "Gunners" (the smallest person in our group) were strapped in a harness and the two people in the back seat were responsible for grabbing you and giving you a bear hug to prevent you from bouncing all over. As a gunner, the first time I bounced all over and have lots of bumps and bruises to show for it. We were all tossed and turned -without extra gear which would typically be in the vehicle with us (ammunition, weapons, ammunition carriers, communications equipment, coolers for water, maps, etc.) and we were expected to orient ourselves (you get disoriented and can't tell up from down or back from front) and we had to get out of our seat belts or harness and get each other out safely. It's really about team work because there would be no other way for those suspended in the air (those who landed on the up side of the roll) to get out of the vehicle.
Then once we got out of the vehicle, we had to establish a 360 degree security perimeter (hoping you could find you weapon after the roll over) - simulating enemy attack or an IED which would have caused the roll over. All of this was shocking and increased our adrenaline to levels most of us had never previously felt. Add to that the weather......although the test facility was indoors in NJ, it was still 90 degrees outside so we were all sweating and hot, scared and pumped up...wondering what would come next. I couldn't imagine that actually happening in combat. The second roll over (yes, we all had to do it again right after the first roll over) we all ended upside down (landing on the roof of the vehicle) and we had to all get out again. As the gunner, I ended up doing a semi-handstand. Thankfully, one of the back seat occupants grabbed me after a few flips and turns. In his words "I was not going to let you go for anything, even if I hugged you so hard I hurt you!" I was very thankful because that really could save my life if not in the training environment. I had a great time int he Humvee roll over as the Gunner.
The MRAP roll over training here in Kuwait was completely different, much larger and much heavier. This vehicle rolled so much slower. Getting into the vehicle caused me a bit of concern.....fortunately, the instructors told us we needed a drive and a front seat passenger, so I volunteered to sit in front as a passenger. This training was a little scarier because the back doors weigh more than 400lbs and it typically takes multiple people to open each door. We could get out of the vehicle via the turret or the back door. Simply put, without teamwork, none of us would ever get out of these. Add to all of this a bit of claustrophobia (like I have) and it was a very difficult time for me. I tried very hard (and succeeded) without having a panic attack. I don't know how that happened. I was fine in the front seat....until I slightly chipped my front tooth. Because I'm so short, when I has hanging upside down restrained in my seat belt, I couldn't reach the roof of the vehicle to brace myself as I released my seat belt and fell down. The weight of myself in my gear hanging upside down, even though I had my arm braced and ready for the fall, apparently I had my mouth open. I felt it right away. The chip was very minor, but I went to dental and they fixed it for me today. Yes...I saw a Navy Dentist in Kuwait. The funniest part is that the dental chair was the most comfortable dentist's chair I've ever sat in. Go figure!
Here in Kuwait there are camels wondering aimlessly like we have squirrels walking around at home. Rather interesting. The desert is certainly a sight...the random trash on the side of the road is also very interesting. You won't see a house or any living quarters, yet you see garbage and trash as if straight out of a home. When driving you must stop for the camels to cross the road and they do not move quickly.
The Cadillac's here in Kuwait are modernized port-o-johns. Although there's not much to see and do here however, one constant is for sure, you need a bathroom. There are port-o-johns and there are mobile outhouses with flushing toilets and sinks with running water. Of course these are not air conditioned. Everything inside of them is very hot....including the door handles the seat on the commode, the sink, and the faucet. You have to be careful touching everything inside of them. You have to really look for a Cadillac but while here if you ask someone else, they'll direct you to the closest Cadillac. They are worth the walk - no matter how far- because the intense daily heat does not create a pleasant aroma in the Port-o-Johns!!!
Such as Life in the NARMY.....347 Days left!!!
