The end of each workday has more bonuses than one might think. Yes, you are probably thinking of a whole host of reasons why you are glad to be home, but for some of us who are forward deployed, it can only mean one thing: running water and a commode which flushes. This is what matters most in a time of need.
Our building is more temporary than permanent and that means portable outhouses or Port-o-Johns (in Fort Dix speak: "Bob's"). I continue to be amazed at the number of folks here. Imagine all the portable outhouses which are in use each and every day. Today's high was roughly 100 degrees. There isn't any shade and it's slightly windy, enough to blow a constant dust around and occasionally make it past your sunglasses to get into your eyes. Just enough to be bothersome. Add to this the constant heat and hot air in a port-o-john? If at all avoidable, I avoid it. Obviously, this is not possible 100% of the time. You simply learn to make the best of it: prepare yourself as much as possible before going in, take a deep breath and hold it, then do not be distracted and move quickly!
The heat inside of these is indescribable. I wish I had a thermometer to see just how hot it gets in one of these. Of course, they are a dark color, which absorbs the heat. I have yet to see a company come clean these....and I've been here for nearly a week. Not a good sign. The odor is prevalent and unfortunately, easily identifiable in the air.
